Newmilns Regeneration Association

TIMELINE

To contribute to this page, please visit our contact page and get in touch. We'd love to keep this timeline updated as a record of Newmilns then and now.

Newmilns Timeline


2000 BC

Area inhabited, indicated by site of Neolithic stone circle east of Gowf course


800-1200

Area under Viking occupation


1126

The name 'Nawemeln' recorded


c. 12th Century

Beginnings of Loudoun Castle built


1307

Robert Bruce defeated the English at the Bottle of Loudoun Hill


1451

Loudoun Kirk established


1490

Newmilns (Newmyllis) formed as a Free Burgh of Barony by Royal Charter from James IV King of Scots


1525

Kennedy's of Culzean set fire to Loudoun Castle, killing Sir Hugh Campbell's wife, nine children and nursemaid


1520

Murdoch Nisbet translated the New Testament into the Scots language


c. 1525-1530

Newmilns Tower (Newmilns Keep) erected by Sir Hugh Campbell, Earl of Loudoun


17th Century

Centre for Covenanters, Newmilns Tower used as a prison in the mid 1600s


1685

John Nisbet of Hardhill executed in Edinburgh, fighting for the cause of the Covenanters


c. 1700

Loudoun Parish Church Manse built, replacing earlier former manse, early occupant was Rev. George Lawrie


1739

Town House built at 50 Main Street: The Old Council House and the Tolbooth


1773

Inaugural congregation formed at the United Presbyterian Kirk, the first secessionist church in Newmilns


1806

Lady Flora Hastings born (died 1839)


1811

Completion of major portion of Loudoun Castle often referred to as the "Windsor of Scotland"


1850

Newmilns to Kilmarnock train line opened


1864

Newmilns presented American Flag by Lincoln - Newmilns had links with America because of Anti-Slavery Society, letters are now held in American National Archives.


1867

First power-loom factory, the Wincey Mill, built at Greenholm by Joseph Hood and Hugh Morton


1872

Newmilns becomes a Police Burgh - Newmilns and Greenholm


1873

New gas works built at Hillside Place


1877

Opening of Lady Flora's Institute as a school for young girls


19th Century

Village became textile centre for muslin and lace


1894

Newmilns School opened with first Headmaster Archibald Hood, architect John Macintosh of Strath Mill. Appeal Case in Court of Session, Newmilns Weavers defended action to keep the Lime Road open as a right of way


1896

Morton Hall opened, donated by William Morton, a boot and shoe maker from Birmingham


1st World War

138 young men of Newmilns killed in the conflict, their names commemorated on the War Memorial in front of Lady Flora's


1913

Cinema opens in Newmilns at Townhead Garage site, courtesy of the Young family


1920

Great flood of Newmilns (Lammas Floods) affecting Lower parts, especially cottages at Greenside joining Clarks Pend


1927

Provost Young opened iron bridge called the Mill Steps Brig in Browns Road


1930

Old Men's Cabin opened


1939

Rex cinema opens on Main Street, previously Cross Keys Inn building, first showing Alexander's Ragtime Band


1930

Old Men's Cabin opened


1941

Loudoun Castle destroyed by fire


1954

The Norrel Burn floods the village (Lammas Flood)


1960

Newmilns School burned down


1970

Loudoun Academy opened in Galston


1975

Newmilns Ski Slope officially opened


1987

Rex Cinema closes



31 January 2001

Newmilns Snow and Sports Complex set up


2002

Irvine Valley Walking Festival started


2013

Newmilns Regeneration Association formed